Malegaon 2008 Blast Case: Appeal to Be Filed in Bombay High Court After Ganpati Holidays, Says Maulana Haleemullah Qasmi

Malegaon 2008 Blast Case: Appeal to Be Filed in Bombay High Court After Ganpati Holidays, Says Maulana Haleemullah Qasmi
  • Published OnAugust 27, 2025

Mumbai, Aug 27 — Victims of the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast are set to approach the Bombay High Court to challenge the acquittal of all accused in the case by a special NIA court. The appeal will be filed in the coming days, after the conclusion of Ganpati holidays, according to Maulana Haleemullah Qasmi, president of Jamiat Ulema Maharashtra (Arshad Madani faction), which is providing legal support to the families of the victims.

The petition will be submitted on behalf of the legal heirs of six victims: Nisar Ahmed Haji Syed Bilal, Sheikh Liaquat Mohiuddin, Sheikh Ishaq Sheikh Yousaf, Usman Khan Ainullah Khan, Mushtaq Shah Haroon Shah, and Sheikh Ibrahim Sheikh Sapro.

WhatsApp Follow Banner

Verdict Copy Delayed, Appeal Prepared by Senior Counsel

The special NIA court pronounced its verdict on July 31, 2025, acquitting Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, Colonel Purohit, Sameer Kulkarni, and others due to lack of sufficient evidence. However, the original copy of the judgment was only made available to the victims’ legal team on August 13, according to Maulana Qasmi.

He noted that the legal team is working to file the appeal within the 30-day statutory period from the date of receiving the verdict. The appeal, he added, has been drafted under the guidance of senior Supreme Court and High Court advocates and highlights the legal shortcomings that led to the acquittals.

“There has been no indication so far that the NIA or the Maharashtra government will file an appeal. This strengthens concerns that the prosecution systematically weakened the case to benefit the accused,” Maulana Qasmi stated.

Background of the Case

The Malegaon blast took place on September 29, 2008, at the crowded Bhikku Chowk, killing six people and injuring over 100. The explosion was one of the deadliest in the region and sent shockwaves across the country.

The special NIA court’s July 31 verdict acquitted all seven accused:

  • Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur
  • Lt. Colonel Prasad Shrikant Purohit
  • Sameer Kulkarni
  • Major Ramesh Upadhyay
  • Ajay Rahirkar
  • Swami Sudhakar Dhar Dwivedi
  • Sudhakar Onkar Chaturvedi

Key Trial Details

  • 323 prosecution witnesses and 8 defense witnesses testified during the lengthy trial.
  • 39 prosecution witnesses turned hostile, deviating from their earlier statements.
  • The court ruled that the evidence presented was insufficient to convict the accused.

Next Legal Steps

With the victims’ families now moving to appeal, the spotlight returns to the judiciary. If admitted, the Bombay High Court will hear the case afresh, potentially reopening one of India’s most politically sensitive terrorism cases.

The short URL of the present article is: https://english.fikrokhabar.com/ktia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *