Karnataka minister Priyank Kharge, family receive threat calls after demand to bar RSS from government premises
Kharge says abusive calls from RSS workers targeted his family after he urged a ban on RSS activities in government schools, colleges and public institutions.

Karnataka Minister Priyank Kharge has reported receiving repeated threat calls and abusive messages after he asked that the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) be banned from government-owned properties. On Wednesday he shared a video on X showing a caller using highly offensive language directed at him an example, he said, of the calls his family has endured.
Kharge said the callers insulted women in his family and questioned whether the conduct being taught at RSS shakhas (local branches) includes such abuse. He named several BJP leaders including B.Y. Vijayendra, R. Ashoka, C.T. Ravi, Sunil Kumar, Prathap Simha and Chalavadi Narayanaswamy and asked whether they condone attacks on the mothers of political opponents.
The minister accused RSS workers of using and radicalizing young people from poor backgrounds to carry out abusive and intimidating calls while the children of political leaders are given opportunities to build “bright futures.” He added that if he files a police complaint the individual caller may face consequences, but those who pushed the caller into such behavior could remain untouched.
Kharge framed his opposition as ideological, not personal. He said his fight is against what he described as a “dirty mentality” that, in his view, brainwashes innocent youth. He urged that RSS grassroots members be introduced to the teachings of Buddha, Basava and B.R. Ambedkar as a countermeasure to divisive ideas, and vowed to take steps to protect children and young people from such influence.
The minister said the abusive calls targeted not only his wife and children but also senior Congress leaders. He has written to the Union Home Ministry seeking action, and the Karnataka Home Minister has reportedly assured him that appropriate steps will be taken.
On October 14, Kharge posted on X that his phone had been continuously ringing with threats and “the filthiest abuse” after he questioned RSS activities in state institutions. He warned that threats would not silence him and called for a society founded on equality, reason and compassion.