Communal Tensions Flare in Bagalkote Over Shivaji Jayanti Procession; Police Impose Curbs, Make Arrests
Stone-pelting near mosque during procession followed by fresh unrest; prohibitory orders in place till February 24.

Bagalkote: A tense atmosphere gripped Bagalkote district in Karnataka on Friday, February 20, as groups of people defied prohibitory orders, staged protests, raised slogans and allegedly pelted stones at meat shops, prompting police to conduct a mild lathi-charge to restore order.
The unrest marks the third violent incident linked to Chhatrapati Shivaji Jayanti celebrations this week, following similar clashes in Hyderabad and Jabalpur.
Trouble first erupted on Thursday, February 19, when a Shivaji Jayanti procession that began from the old town around 3:30 pm encountered stone-pelting near a mosque at Kila Oni in the Navanagar area around 9:30 pm, as it was nearing its conclusion.
Superintendent of Police Siddharth Goyal told PTI that only two stones were thrown—one of which had been used to prop up a shoe rack inside the mosque and fell on police personnel. He said no one suffered serious injuries.
Video footage identified Tanzeer as the prime accused, allegedly seen hurling both stones. The SP emphasised that no sticks or other weapons were used and that only one individual was responsible for the pelting.
Police arrested eight people, including the prime accused, in connection with the Thursday incident. The procession later resumed peacefully with cooperation from leaders of both communities.
As a precautionary measure, prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) were imposed across parts of Bagalkote from midnight February 19 to midnight February 24, banning the assembly of more than four persons in public places.
Despite restrictions and heightened security, tensions resurfaced on Friday morning when a group of youths reportedly took out a procession, shouted slogans and allegedly pelted stones at meat shops. Police dispersed the crowd with a mild lathi-charge and arrested seven additional individuals for allegedly obstructing police personnel.
An FIR has been registered under relevant BNS sections, including unlawful assembly, rioting, attempt to murder, assault on public servants and intentional insult to provoke breach of peace. Authorities said action is being taken based on video evidence.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah termed the incident “unfortunate” and appealed for peace. He said police had acted swiftly, made arrests and were conducting a thorough investigation. “Strict action will be taken against all culprits, irrespective of identity. I urge people not to fall for rumours or provocation and to preserve communal harmony,” he said.
However, BJP Rajya Sabha member Narayanasa Bandage accused the Congress government of being “anti-Hindu” and questioned the gathering of over 200 people at the mosque during the incident. He also announced plans for another procession in the near future.
Authorities in Bagalkote said the situation is now under control, with continued appeals for calm from officials and community leaders.